Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Snow Day

I'm so excited for this year's Festival in the Clouds! It takes place next to Alma's Town Hall, with plenty of room for vendors and visitors. The playground and the river entertain kids while bands play on stage. I'll be sharing a booth with my friend Priscilla again this year. She makes great handbags that add color and excitement to our space. I hope to have some of Jesse's matted photos, and I think Priscilla's husband Greg will add something as well. We'll set up on Friday afternoon, July 15, and enjoy sunshine and music as people wander around all day Saturday and Sunday. (Fingers crossed for minimal rain!)

To prepare for the festival, I've been making new work. Yesterday I woke up to this:

Mr Puppy singing on the deck, joyful in the snow.
No thank you, snow! It melted quickly, but it was a good incentive for me to stay in my studio all morning. Today I'm firing a special glaze load, including a serving dish for a fellow yogi as a wedding gift for her friends. Tomorrow I'll do a bisque firing.


In the front are squared bowls to replace the ones that sold at Coyote Creek Gallery. For the July festival: mugs, bowls, teapot & cups, and cream & sugar set. The tall vases might go to Petal & Bean in Breckenridge, depending how they turn out. They are fun slab projects, and I like the shapes so far. I'll have better pictures later.

I like this creamer/sugar set.



I'm having fun with this faux wrapped handle theme (top of the tray handle; where the teapot handle meets the spout). What to make next...? Any ideas for more sets? I'm going to start on an idea for square dinner plates this afternoon, or maybe more vases (more "normal" vases).

9 comments:

  1. The wrapped handle is oh so cool! What a productive snowy morning you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool handle. I love it. Proud Momma has sent your blog to all her friends. Beware, you're going to get lots of mail from us admirers. Love your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I'm having a great time, and all comments are welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the teapot is so cool--I love the whole tea set. And I am a big fan of tea sets. So glad your Mom sent me this blog link.

    Carolyn Geduld

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg you just keep outdoing yourself! love these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cool. I was wondering if combining materials is ever done...like sticking a piece of lace on the surface of a vase...or pictures...clay with wood??
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Carolyn! I appreciate your kind words, and I will try to make more tea sets for you to enjoy.

    Miz Sparkles! Thanks always for your support. :)

    Marta, I like your ideas. I can press a piece of lace into the clay to leave an impression, or I can add lace to the finished piece, after it's fired (or else the lace would burn in the kiln). I've been intrigued by adding pictures, and just haven't gotten around to doing that. (Maybe this fall?) YES YES YES I love clay + wood. Here are two past posts showing pieces I did that my husband added wood to:
    http://clay-woodwork.blogspot.com/2009/04/look-back.html
    http://clay-woodwork.blogspot.com/2010/02/collaboration.html

    I'd love to hear your thoughts on those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sushi plates & accessories! As an idea for future sets...

    ReplyDelete