Sunday, July 14, 2013

There's clay all over my career!

The big news is....... I quit my full-time job July 1st! The job itself was fine, but I'm so ready to be doing something else. Working with clay sounds much better! Also, I'll be teaching ballet, immersed in expression, inspiration, and surrounded with positive people. Hopefully, too, I'll be helping a friend's business, which should involve plenty of brainstorming and creativity. I think this new chapter in my life will be filled with art and imagination!

Alma's Festival in the Clouds is coming up next weekend so my schedule is chock full of making and firing pots. Since I'm behind with posting new pics (aren't I always?) I'll just catch up a few pieces now and post more recent work later this week.


Carved vase - 5.5" tall, 6" wide

Roses all the way 'round!

2.5" tall, 2" wide; rose, iris, and tulip lidded minis

Orchid planter - 7" tall, 8-9" wide

My real orchid plant gave up at last after a final show of gorgeous flowers. She would be missed terribly if I didn't have new plant friends to enjoy. The beautiful pink blossoms below are meaningful to me - they come from my cousin's wedding reception last July. Each table was graced with blue, white, or pink potted hydrangeas. This romantic pink is my favorite. Unfortunately, many plants we bring home end up being shocked by our climate/altitude/short growing season (who knows!) and this li'l guy was no different. After struggling with sad, crispy leaves for many months, we snipped it down nearly to nothing. This summer, it has roared back to life and burst into blossom! I'm overjoyed.

Behind the flowers is a miniature rose that one of my fellow dancers gave me at our recital in May. A couple days after I took this picture, a beautiful yellow rose appeared.


I'm very thankful to my silent muses, for the oxygen and inspiration they offer me!



4 comments:

  1. Wow, Iris! You signature flower sculpted pots have revved up another notch. Mazel tov!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous pieces. Congratulations on the new transition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely new creations! And I believe that's a hydrangea??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm really happy for this change. Now I'll have more time to play around with new flower creations. :)

    You're right about the hydrangea, I'm correcting it now.

    ReplyDelete