Monday, August 15, 2011

Flowers Everywhere

Last week I realized--in a moment of panic--that I have a show coming up in September! Thankfully I've already made some pieces I'd like to display. I'll continue with other household items (Piers is pressuring me to make a bread box, although I'm pretty skeptical at this point). Oh yes, and I want flowers EVERYWHERE!
The teapot on the left is 7" tall at the height of the handle; the pitcher is 11" tall.
 The pitcher might actually be a wedding gift. That's the intention I had when I made it, but it also fits in well with my flower theme for the show. I'll leave it to my best friend to decide, since it was his brilliant idea to give a custom water vessel in the first place.

I need to make flowery tea cups next.

In other news, Piers is building a wood shed! I'm really excited about it, and it's in a great location. It's below the height of the deck (that's where I'm standing, pointing the camera downward) which means no shadows to block the sunshine. The door frame has a lot of clearance at the bottom so it will be easy to keep the snow cleared away. The large windows are actually shower doors, which won't shatter if hit by a wayward log. Obviously it's not quite tall enough for him to stand inside, but it will be very comfortable for me!

Piers waving the hammer wildly, showing off for the dog (can you hear Vlad barking?)

I'm off to check on my glaze firing, which includes mugs, bowls, leafy tea cups 'n' saucers, and the large columbine planter (which might go in my September show). Then it's time to brainstorm more pieces.

5 comments:

  1. How did you come up with the flower theme? So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, really lovely. So much movement, yet so quiet and still.
    Damn fine work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Bob!! I appreciate your feedback. I need to make more work to go with these; any ideas of what you'd like to see?

    Mom, as someone responsible for naming me IRIS, I think you know about my healthy obsession with all things floral! Clay is perfect for capturing graceful shapes, and I'm embracing the opportunity to garnish my pottery with everlasting blossoms. Do you remember in 2007 I did a whole "overgrown" series? They were large hand built pieces that I added flowers to, imagining that instead of being covered in dust with disuse, they would grow beautiful flowers... I keep coming back to this idea, between other fun ideas. This time I will focus on flowers and nothing else. Ideas for household objects that I should make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted something for earrings - easy to put away and easy to find.

    I enjoy a double-sided dish for pastatios and other nuts you in the shell. You can put the nuts on one side and the shells on the other after you crack them open.

    spoon holders, really for multiple cooking utensils for the stove so as not to drip on the stove.

    That's it for the moment. I see Bob Danon has excellent taste. He is a true connisour of fine art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love these flower tea pots!! They're so beautiful!!!

    You don't know me, but I'm a friend of your moms. She sent me a link to your blog because she thought I would like your work. She was right!!!!

    ReplyDelete