Monday, September 12, 2011

Saturday's Show

Saturday was loads of fun! Linda Susak hung colorful oil paintings on the walls of the gallery, and I had five pedestals of work. I sold some pieces and got a commission, so it was a success!  Plus, there were plenty of fun people to talk to.

Sipping Tea with the One I Love, Fragrant Steam Curling Around Fresh Blossoms
Tea Set 1: Timid Blossoms  (Can you see them?)
Tea Set #2: Tumbling Blossoms
Floral Refreshment; Service for Four
Fresh Blossoms for the Kitchen

The last pedestal is away from the front window, by itself.

Where Flowers Come From


This is the blurb I have accompanying the work:

I studied ceramics in college, working both on and off the wheel.  Nearly ten years after graduating, I still adore how slow, thoughtful hand building complements the fast pace of throwing.  It is a joy to create these floral pieces: first, I throw the utilitarian shapes on the wheel, then while I wait for them to dry I form the flowers and carefully attach them.  For each piece, I imagine I am creating an arrangement in a vase.  Some blossoms are poised upward, soaking in the sun; others face forward confidently; my favorite ones are floating lazily, perhaps caught in a breeze, snagged just before they fall to the ground.

4 comments:

  1. So very lovely! Which ones did you sell? I am imagining what I would serve in each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these! beauty and function intertwined so gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!! At the opening, I sold the planter and the two cup/saucer sets. I've been out of town, and I can't wait to get in the studio and make more work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iris, My old grammar school friend had this to say about your lastest work in an email I received today:

    Thank you, Victoria, for sharing pictures of these beautiful creations. Your daughter has a great gift for combining functional pieces with graceful and fanciful designs!

    ReplyDelete